Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where does research take place?

A. Adventures with Elephants, Bela-Bela, South Africa


Q. Is the Rory Hensman Conservation and Research Unit a registered NPO?

A. Yes, RHCRU is a registered non-profit organization, our details are as follows:

Tax Ref# 9638774167

NPO # 173 - 401 NPO

PBO # - 930055875

Q. where can i find lodging?

A. We have limited researcher accommodation available. If these are unavailable we can recommend other lodging in the area.  Please contact Jenna Hensman at for information.

Q. What is the minimum age requirement for students?

A. For independent and group student projects, the minimum age requirement is 18. Anyone under 18 will require full time adult supervision.

Q. Should i have my own vehicle?

A. It is recommended for all researchers/students to bring their own vehicle or hire one since all accommodation is within short driving distance.

Q. Do i need a visa to perform research at rhcru?

A. All researchers/students are responsible for their own visas before starting any projects at RHCRU.  Please visit your country of residence's Department of Home Affairs website to find more information.

Q. Do i need permits to perform research at rhcru?

A. Permit requirements are dependent on the type of research being performed. For information contact the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) or the Department of Environmental Affairs.

Q. How are the funds that people donate used?

A. All funds donated go directly into research or conservation projects. We use the funds to purchase supplies and equipment for research and to help with conservation and community projects as published on our website. If you want you can ask that your donation is used for a particular project you like and want to support then we will allocate the money into that project.

Q. Do the elephants ever get hurt during research/what is your welfare policy?

A. Each researcher that applies to work with RHCRU must show proof of ethical acceptance from a reputable institution. All applications are further reviewed by our board of directors to ensure the welfare of the animals, the buck finally stops with AWE management who will decide if a project will be detrimental to our charges in our care.

Q. How can people who want to help make a difference?

A. The best way to make a difference is to spread the word about RHCRU and share our research findings.  Donations and sponsorships also greatly help our organziations as we use the  money to support both our research and community projects.